Sunday, May 24, 2009

Brokers could bolt from wirehouses when economy stabilizes

The steady exodus of registered reps from wirehouses is expected to accelerate dramatically over the next 18 months, according to a report from TowerGroup.

Anywhere from 7,500 to 9,000 more reps could move to independent advisory firms by the end of next year, according to the company.

The Needham, Mass.-based consulting firm noted that a massive portion of this migration — which would account for 12% to 14% of the total number of wirehouse reps remaining — could take place in late 2010 when markets are likely to be less rocky.

At the moment, "the markets and the economy are slowing the movement of advisers toward independence," according to Sean Cunniff, research director in the brokerage and wealth management practices at TowerGroup.

"Some advisers fear that adding a change of firm may give the clients one more reason to find a new financial expert," he said.

"It is likely that as financial markets stabilize and the economy lands on sounder footing, the number of advisers leaving wirehouses will increase considerably."

These projected breakaway reps manage approximately $500 billion to $800 billion in client assets, TowerGroup estimated.

At the beginning of this year, there were 65,000 wirehouse brokers, according to the report, a 20% decrease since 2002.

  • Buying a Sense of Security for the Home
  • Treasury Secretary Says Markets Are Calmer Now
  • First Allied to woo First Montauk reps
  • brokersXpress to buy Horwitz and Associates
  • 3 comments:

    Unknown said...

    Hi,
    This is to let you know that right now I have seen your site & I must say it is really very informative & related to my topic also “finance”.
    I am a finance webmaster & do have some good quality finance sites & blogs with high traffic & PR. And I love to do healthy content, banner, widget & article link exchange. Because as per my experience I believe through this you will get the high traffic & PR in front of Google.
    If you are interested with my proposal please feel free to mail me with your finance sites & blogs urls. Apart from this you can come to gtalk for free chating….
    My mail id….
    nancysix00(at)gmail(dot)com

    In return I do have some very attractive offers for you. And I will send mine through a following mail.

    Waiting for your quick positive reply.

    Cheers,
    Nancy.

    Unknown said...

    Thank you for all the great posts from last year! I look forward to reading your blog, because they are always full of information that I can put to use. Thank you again, and God bless you in 2010.

    Anonymous said...

    In reality your creative writing abilities has inspired me to begin my own Blog website now.


    CCTV Karachi